Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Poor Pumpkin Pootie

Two weeks ago Daddy went to the Fantasy Football Draft with the Grock boys. Elle and Mommy had plans to have a girls weekend with Meemom. We went to Sonny's for dinner with Uncle Casey and Grandma. Elle was a little more fussy than usual but not too bad. She had a hard time going to sleep that night. When she woke up screaming at 11:30 that night I didn't think much of it. That is until I picked her up to nurse her and she was BURNING UP! I immediately gave her some Tylenol. As I watched it drip out of her mouth and saw that my poor baby was moaning and couldn't even hold her head up; I took her temperature. I was quite alarmed by the 102.7 reading but more alarmed at how hot and lethargic my pumpkin was. I woke up Meemom and we decided to go to the ER. It was an absolute nightmare. They measured her temp rectally at 104.7. We waited and waited and waited for any relief for my baby. They rolled all the veins in her arms and legs trying to get blood to culture so they had to end up putting the IV in her head and taking blood from it. It was a very difficult sight to see. I finally called daddy at 3 or 4 that morning when I realized we weren't going anywhere. The words blood infection, meningitis and brain infection were thrown around. Meemom and Momma were scared. We were admitted into the pedi unit at about 7 Saturday morning. Elle was a tough cookie. She had to give all vitals every 3-4 hours and receive iv antibiotics 3 times a day for 3 days. We had to wait for blood cultures and multiple other tests. We were very nervous, exhausted and uncomfortable. David tagged Meemom out when he got there on Saturday. Elle was so happy to see Daddy and actually smiled as she said DaDa. Meemom came every day and Elle just wanted to lay in her arms. Meemom let daddy and I go home and shower. She rocks. Thanks momma. I wouldn't have made it without you!The hospital room was about the size of a shoe box. David and I alternated sleeping in the hospital crib and a reclining chair. After 3 sleepless nights we were released Monday evening. Elle had a very bad UTI. They even did an ultrasound to make sure kidneys etc developed normally and they did. It is odd for a baby this young. to have a UTI. Hopefully never again. We are almost done with our 10 days of antibiotics. Meemom is taking pootie for a check up with her pediatrician tomorrow. Thank goodness this is behind us! Here's to health and happiness!!

Lessons learned:
Don't go to sleep with deep conditioner in your hair if you might end up in the ER
Bring your pump to the ER if your baby won't eat and you will be there for a total of 4 daysit is not cool when the er doc finally comes in and sees you expressing your milk into the sink with a milk covered shirt on-not hot.
listen to your instinct. i am glad we went when we did
Love love love your baby
Count your blessings
always make meemom stay with me when daddy leaves town
give kc props for the unlimited awesome dog care

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

I married the love of my life and high school sweetheart, David, on 6/12/04. I am the mother of baby Elle(born 11/18/08), Lily Grace, (4/26/11) , Grant( 5/14/14),3dogs (Lupe, Bruce and Nina ) . Blessed to have my dream job as a kindergarten teacher❤️